Saturday, May 14, 2011

Survival of the Fittest

It all started with a knife that "I bought him for Christmas".  Of course, he told me this after the fact.  Look, look at the knife you bought me for Christmas.  That's nice, I replied. I got a really fancy coat that turned into a pistol....The waffle iron for our first Christmas turned into a diamond tennis bracelet, but that was just a lesson waiting to happen.  Anyway, Christmas knife turned into Christmas coffee table display furniture turned into over 18 knives, I stopped counting.

I remember some guy calling our house about 15 years ago, asking if this was Dennis P. Weston.  When the Colonel affirmed, he asked if he had been in Vietnam, arround the Cu Chi tunnels.  That was a bit of a shock.  This man was from the midwest, had been to Vietnam on a later tour of duty and found the Colonel's knife in a rice paddy with his name inscribed.  Note:  He was never a Colonel;  this is a joke seen on Saturday Night Live that his buddies find very funny, but I find very endearing.  The guy said he had it on his mantle all these years and wondered about it.  Said he'd mail it, but we never saw it.

He is also big on Emergency Prepardness, or E-Prep, as I very seriously refer to it around the house.  Mister, we need E-Prep for the duck boat.  What about the ATV?  Then there is the tack room?  Mister, we need E-Prep.  Mostly now, I talk about Prep H, but I digress, as usual.

So there he is out in the wilds and phones me this morning.  "Ah, there you are, are you ready?"  He is excited, "Yes yes, I am, we are in the parking lot."  (See????? I knew it!)..  "How is the weather?"  Oh, it's going to be really warm today, beautiful day.."  "That's great, did you put your sunscreen on?"  Long pause...."I gotta go, they have sunscreen inside."    Oh, dear, so much for E-Prep.

Is it a dry beaver pond, Colonel?
Chillin' in the biouvac, pleasant dreams

No comments: