Friday, May 20, 2011

It's Really Cool, 'Cuz Its a Sports Injury


Rule 3:  Don't lick yourself

This is my first day of my prescribed rehab plan.  Dr. Gilmore took charge, along with some helpful suggestions from the Mister and we not only got great referrals, I got to see a Neurosurgeon within a half hour of my appointment!  The woman has clout and I'm happy to be on her side.  Biggest plus is no more sinus infection and I'm maintaining on regular Advil and an occasional muscle relaxer just for fun.

Rule number one is be patient and rule number two is to follow instructions.  I don't remember any other rules;  head injury, dontcha know.  The official diagnosis from Neuro guy is Post Concussive Disorder along with BPPV, which sounds all so very important, but turns out that yes, indeed, there are screws loose in my head.  Specifically, tiny ear crystals that have been knocked loose and cause my vertigo.  PCD can last a few months, so the part about memory, headaches and fatigue are to be expected.  Once again, diamonds are very helpful, he assured me.  He did an Epley manuever to turn the inner ear clock back and then I had to sleep upright all night last night. I just love having to do that. Not. PT starts next week for my balance and to knock the rocks back in place.  I actually failed the walk the line test and touch your nose.  I put my hands behind my back for the cuffs and he was not all that amused, but the Colonel was, bless his heart.

Massage today from a big burly guy named Bobby, who played the theme from, "Braveheart".  I never did like the whale moaning that some spas promote and I felt like donning some chain mail and lance to breach the tower afterwards.  He gave me great news on my shoulder, backed up by the chiropractor;  no rotator cuff injury, looks like a simple bicep tear from the shoulder.  More PT at a different joint scheduled for that, along with adjustments from the chiropractor.

So, tons of forms to fill out, many more explanations and copays to issue, stitches to remove from inside my upper lip, but the best news of all is that today is my one month anniversary.

I BLEW MY NOSE!!!!!!

And it was good.

No comments: