Monday, May 30, 2011

Family Wars

Thinking about Memorial Day today and how just about everyone I know has been touched by war.  I've never been to war, thank God, but have witnessed how it impacts those who have.  My husband is a Vietnam Vet, his brother a Korean War Vet, his other brother was in the Army, my step-son was in the Army. 

My Dad was in the Army for World War II and lost part of his hearing in the artillery.  He volunteered to stay on and clean out the hospital wards at Dachau and that's where he contracted tuberculosis, which resulted in a two year stay in Walla Walla upon discharge.  His brother was killed at age 22 in France during that war.

My maternal grandfather fought for the German cavalry (yes, horses) until captured by the British.  He spent two years in a concentration camp and reunited with most of the family in time to immigrate to the US.  My mom unfortunately was captured by Russians as they were attempting to flee and spent four years (age 14-18) in a concentration camp, too.  Looking back, it's a wonder my Dad kept it together for our family while she was in and out of institutions for what we now know is Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.  Mom came by today with Claus, aka, Zarif, and said she was watching a program about how returning soldiers are now being offered help for PSTD.  She's pretty happy about that.

All in all, it seems that the benefits of joining the military (at least during peacetime) are pretty darn good.  The GI bill helped my Dad through college and to buy his first home.  I spent the last couple years of his life chauffeuring him to the VA hospital and they seemed to genuinely care.  My uncle (Mom's bro) joined the Air Force and was able to go to college.  The Colonel had some of the best times of his life as a volunteer right out of high school (Soap Lake).  He was in Georgia and Hawaii, prior to the jungles of 'Nam.  He used his benefits and became the first in his family to graduate from college.

So today is about fallen heroes and our memories.  I'm pretty damn lucky to live the way I live today because of them;  they're definitely worth our thoughts for a day.

No comments: