Monday, June 20, 2011

Golfing With Purpose

Spent a delightful evening in a Seattle Hotel golfing last night.  I don't know why I thought that I would be able to virtual golf in heels, but it neither added nor detracted from the game.  I was able to half swing and still go about 52 yards in my drive.  Pro tour, look out. 

Interestingly, I don't miss golfing.  I miss making fun of my friends while they golf and laughing hysterically when I hit a tree and the ball almost nails me, resulting in -18 yards for my second drive.  That's the best part.  I try not to partner with over serious rule zealots.  I find most of the rules interesting, but not necessarily applicable to my situation. Note:  I believe this is why is referred to as a "Game".  I really like the "Dick Out" rule and try to enforce it with great diligence. (Rule 43b.  Man hits no further than the front tees;  he is expected to show his willie for the rest of the hole.  Of course, this never happens, but it is uproarious to yell, "DICK OUT!!!  DICK OUT!!!")

I can usually tune out the Chatty Kathys when I golf or at least make a point of telling them to pipe down during my back swing.  One of the highlights of my first tournament was when my partner was looking at the line of my putt while having an argument with her daughter via cell phone.  Unfortunately, I had turned off my super human power of burning laser eyes or I might have enjoyed a spectacular burning flesh pyre.  I just told her to shut up instead. 
My super human power reduced this golf cart to ash one day

My favorite golf game is the Wednesday late afternoon with the Mister.  We intend to play nine holes and have dinner, but at the end of the fifth hole, closest to the bar, we look at each other and say, okay, that was good and head in for a margarita.

And that's how you get good at the game;  with purpose.


I know, the clubs just get bigger all the time

No comments: