Thursday, June 16, 2011

Diversity

There is something magical about four dogs, two cats and four horses.  They all figure it out.  They don't look alike or think alike, but it works.  Now, if there was no food, it might not work, but given they're all domestic, we don't have to interfere.

We had a wonderful dinner with friends tonight.  They have a hunting dog, Labradoodle, the cats and the horses.  We contributed a large Bouvier and their kids showed up with a Chug.  It's a Chihuahua/Pug mix.  We got them together and of course, worried that my Dorkus Doggus would eat everyone, but he didn't.  The usual fang baring and checking pee-mail ensued, but everyone settled down.  The oldest cat was senile and ignored all, which confused the dogs and the biggest dog liked the littlest best and it was all good.  The horses like the littlest dog, too, primarily because she was so small and unafraid.  My ex-horse, Elmer, loved little animals, too.  He would stop on the trail to look at small cowering beasts and would try to lick them occasionally, which once resulted in screaming and running. (The owner, not the dog) .  I once found him with a cat curled up on his back and he had two chickens that would regularly roost in his stall.  He was quite gentle and sweet with them.  Evidently, I wasn't small or hairy enough (go ahead, Mister, insert laughter here).

I think about Elmer occasionally, but don't particularly miss him, except for how funny he could be.  Then I remember how 95% of horse care is work and 5% is actual riding.  Yeah, don't miss the scooping poop part so much and thankfully, a lot of my friends own horses that need to be ridden.  I also remember him every day that I wake up with a completely numb face and sore shoulder. 

I think I'll keep a couple of chickens.

No comments: