Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Blackballed Friday

Since we had to Black Friday a new refrigerator, off to Sears we went.  The vultures were hovering so we invited one to sell and feast.  Of course, the one on sale wouldn't possibly fit, so we found the only one that did.  Fortunately, it was the type we wanted at an okay price.

Yippee, pay with a Sears credit card, save some money, get some reward points, buy more stuff, are you happy, so happy in retail land???  That's fine, I can use the first credit card I received when I was 18.  Cue the lights and angels:  Sears Credit Card.  Yep, 30 years ago, I was well taught about credit and finance.  Get a credit card, use it, ALWAYS pay the balance, build good credit, buy more stuff.  I was able to buy my first new car, a Toyota Tercel  ( I thought of it as a Mercel at the time) at 19, working part time and in college.  Couple years later, buy the first house.  Yep, building credit is good.  Insert pat on back here.

Fast forward to today.  We have one credit card.  Only one.  The one that allows us to travel first class internationally at least once a year because of the miles.  The card that we have never, ever, carried a balance.  I used my Sears credit card five years ago to buy a dishwasher, no big deal.  Now, I have to open a new account because its been over two years.  I spent AN HOUR on the phone and with the vulture verifying stupid information to buy a fridge.  They asked me three times how much money I made per year.  I replied, "I'm retired."  2nd time:  "I'm retired, but my husband works and we make $XX".  3rd time:  "I'm a total loser and allow my husband to support me.  He brings in $XX.  Can't you run a credit check?"

They opened a new account for Denny.

No comments: