Friday, September 9, 2011

Good Smellin' Times

The Mister decided to go fishing today.  Why, in 95 degrees, would that be much fun, I'm sure I don't know.  Gus and I decided on a walkabout in the shade before it hit 95.  We strolled down past the new Riperian Easement Protected by the Methow Conservancy (this deserves caps because it is very exciting for us.  Legally, all the 314 acres we view past our property is now protected lands and the stream has been restored to it's original glory, not the cow stomped mud hole it used to be.  Also, we won't have to call our neighbor who is slow to gather up his frickin' cows every time they break down the fence.  THE COWS ARE GONE.)  I digress.

What is it about dead stuff that is so very exciting to a dog?  There was a large dead snake on the trail and Dorkus has to roll and roll and bury his face, look at me, look at me, oh bliss, I shall smell like this nasty half chewed snake.  His eyes were all gleaming with excitement and he was smiling from pointy ear to pointy ear in joy, snake guts dripping off his head.  At least it wasn't the dead salmon that the bear left on the river bank last year.  Four scrubbings and tomato juice and finally, some very expensive, "Get the Stink Out" stuff did it.  It was horrible.

We did pass the stream where it connects to the Methow River, so he fortunately went in and got the snake stench off.  Then we came to the cattle guard to continue the trail.  I was ready to open the barb wired fence gate, but he tip toed across, which surprised me.  We chased numerous squirrels and ran from a deer, which means he remembered his lesson.

Now he is exhausted and snoring on the bed.  Gus is, too.

No comments: