Friday, July 1, 2011

Submission of the Fittest

Dr. Goldy's wife did indeed mess up my fame by going into labor and resulting in a cancelled appointment.  (I'll call today to find out boy or girl and Mom is at the ready with pink or blue booties.) Thus, my butt and shoulder and neck hurt.  Actually, it's not my butt, but lower back near butt and actually, I think it was the three hour drive to get to Mazama that twisted me.  I drove all by myself!  Okay, Gus was in the car, but he doesn't drive very well, so he was the Navigator.

We are delighted to be here and the Colonel shall be arriving soon, more delight.  No evidence of marmots or mice in the barn, first time in twelve years.  Lots of foxtails (cheatgrass or sock rockets) but Gus was shaven for summer, including between his hooves.  We're going for a walk as soon as I'm done here.

I went to We Sell Polenta down the road for dinner with Claire. (It's Wesola Polano- "Happy Polish Valley" or something equally weird, so our name fits.)  They've got the tapas menu figured out and an impressive book of drinks.  I think that's why it's such a happy valley in Poland, a lot of hard liquor goes a long way.

There is a dog enclosure there so we were entertained by the various and sundry dogs-  some obviously city and some definitely country.  A German Shepherd puppy was placed with a small carefully groomed white puffball and medium sized mix.  The puffball promptly attacked the Shepherd.  Claire said that this particular dog had been attacked numerous times around the Valley, so I watched for a while and soon saw why.  Although she was submissive, she didn't get the cues to back off.  She'd try to play and paw and even though teeth were bared, she'd jump on the dog, resulting in an attack.  Three more dogs, all smaller, did this with her.  Claire and I agreed, this is survival of the smarter here, not the submissive and extremely annoying.  It's kinda like that with people, too, isn't it? 

I don't want to jinx it, so I'm not gonna say, but we may be adding to our wee family.  When I know more, I'll say more. For now, I will dominate over my large, semi-alpha male.  And Gus, too.

No comments: