Friday, March 1, 2013

Or What?

I love the dreams that wake me up laughing.  I had one of those the other night and it still makes me laugh.

I was with my sister at the hospital while she was giving birth.  Mind you, this was surprising to me as it happened in about two minutes on a table and she got up (fully clothed) and handed the baby off to a nurse and we walked out the door to go home.  We were walking through some woods and she said, "Oh, I better call Mike" (her husband). 

She hung up and I thought to ask, "Was it a boy or girl?"  She said, "Boy" and I asked, "What is his name?"  She said, "Orr".  I said, "Ore?  Like a mining function?"  "No, Orr, O-R-R.  Isn't that cool?"
I had to think about it.  Different, I'll give you that.  Then I started to think about what would happen in 2nd grade and how his name could be terrible.  "So, is it short for anything?"  No, it's just Orr."  This is when it got good.

"What if he is constantly asked his full name?  Like, so, Orr, what is your full name?"  She paused on our hike and said, "Well, maybe we'll make it Gregorr."  "Well that's not much better," I said.  People will say, "Greg or what?"  "You know, like Sphincter says what?"  She said, "What?"  and of course I laughed.  But this is not what woke me up.  No, it wasn't that clever phrase.  She said, "It will just be Orr."  I said, "Than I shall call him Eeyore."  She got all mad and said, "No!  His name will be Igor, that's what it will be."   "Okay, okay," I muttered, but I thought that was much worse.  A little hunchback boy for a nephew, cool.

It then occurred to me what the real issue would be and I had to tell her:  "When he is in 1st grade, learning how to spell his name and he hands in his work, you do realize that he will be signing it with his first name and last initial, right?  Like when I would put Heidi C. on the top of my papers. You gotta think about that.  He will be mortified later to know that his name is Orr G."

That's what woke me up.

No comments: