Friday, May 25, 2012

Pasture Play

It hasn't been that long, but I guess a few people read these ramblings and I don't want to disappoint, no I do not.

The Colonel and I along with the three useless animals are residing in Mazama for the next few weeks.  And in case a would-be burglar is reading this, the alarm is on and we rigged poisoned darts to stab you if you approach within three feet of the barn.  My hay and grain must be safe, at any cost.

So the little ones arrived and tumbled out of the trailer with bewildered blinking eyes.  I led them to their heavenly pasture which confused them even more.  They stood looking at each other and walked a few steps and rolled crazily.  If they knew how to stick their tongues out at the same time, I'd swear they had rabies.  Jump up, eat grass, Lucky jumps all four hooves off the ground and proceeds to rodeo.  I was laughing at him, when Trusty, the ever controlled, staid horse, walked up to me and nosed me in the butt, saying, "Are you seeing this?  Are you letting him get away with such unbecoming behavior?"  Really, you could see it on his face.  Since I just stood there, he had to run after him and attempt to bite him into submission.  Lucky just ran and kicked some more, so Trusty joined in.  It's the first time I've ever seen him gallop.

A couple days of bliss and now they are being hitched up to the carts.  DogGus made sure they both knew that he was in charge by barking loudly in their faces and running.  He only did that because he knew they couldn't chase him while harnessed.  The Colonel was praying that nobody we knew would see him and luckily for me, his hunting buddy that farms next door pulled up and laughed delightedly.  Our little dog and pony show continued down the road and we pretended we were in chariots and raced.  Of course, Lucky won because once he gets going, there is no stopping.  That and I'm lighter than the Colonel so poor Trusty had the weight disadvantage and frankly, barely walking is more his style.

So those are my daily adventures with the boys.  They go in the barn at night because the cougars are nearby and a bear tore down our neighbors bird feeder two nights ago.  The farmers two Labs came over to investigate and bark at them, but Gus and I scared them off and they are keeping a respectful distance.  Plus, I made the Colonel electrify the bottom fence wire.

The Colonel is fishing now and I am going to take the Niece and da 'Phew for rides while DogGus keeps us all in line.  This will be a Memorable Weekend.

No comments: