Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dog Cog

When I say something to DogGus, he always has a delayed reaction.  I can see the cogs turning, turning in his head and then, "Wait, I know what you said!" dawns on his face.  This normally occurs with a game of Find It, Get It.  Hedgehog, Polar Bear, Raccoon, Monkey Face and Boney are his toys to Find and Get.

"Going for a walk" brings instant recognition and much excitement, however.  He will run to me, bounce up and down and grab my hand to pull me to the door.  He barely stands still for the halter and leash and off we go. 

If Bridle Trails is our walk, then there is much sniffing along the way and checking of pee-mail.  I don't understand how dogs retain that much pee in order to mark spots.  He looks at me intently sometimes as though to say, "Coyote wrote a bad word here", before jetting his reply.  Then, there is the occasional sneaking of a road apple.  What is it about horse poop?  It's not like there is any meat in there, but they treat it like a big cheese covered meatball.  Geesh.

Finding any dead animal is such a bonus.  We have to immediately rub our face and whole body if I don't forcibly drag him away.  Once, he found a dead salmon and even after washing him four times, he smelled just as bad.

Once we turn around to head for home, he drags his feet and walks as slow as he can to delay us.  It doesn't matter if we've gone one mile or five, it's always the same.  I can't walk that fast, I'm so tired.  I've tried to trick him with "Squirrel", but that usually results in sitting down and looking at trees.

Wipe the paws off and he lumbers in to sleep on the couch.  Snoring is the indication of a good walk.

No comments: